I’ve talked during previous posts about the reduction in crime in 2015 from 2014. At the risk of repeating myself, the Middletown Division of Police reported the following numbers in their year end reporting:
- Overall calls for service dropped from 41,877 in 2014 to 36,881 in 2015 (Down 12%).
- Total Part 1 Crimes dropped from 4,090 in 2014 to 3,375 in 2015 (Down 17%).
- Arrests dropped from 6,481 in 2014 to 5,861 in 2015 (Down 9%).
- Theft related crimes dropped from 3,861 calls in 2014 to 3,210 in 2015 (Down 15%).
Those numbers have now been bolstered by the year-end report from Middletown Municipal Court. In 2015, Middletown Municipal Court recorded:
- The lowest number of total cases in 21 years.
- The lowest number of misdemeanor criminal cases in 18 years.
- The lowest number of felony criminal cases in the past 5 years.
With a city of almost 50,000 residents, we will always have some crime in the city. The reduction in calls, however, makes it easier to focus more resources on reducing crime instead of chasing it and to focus more manpower on solving the crimes that do still occur. We still have a lot of work to do to further reduce crime, deal with heroin, and make Middletown the safest city we can have, but the numbers are trending in the right direction.
Hat’s off to the Middletown Division of Police for doing a great job with limited resources. A group of true professionals.
Have a great day!