I’ve talked in public several times about using social media and other communication methods to get the message out in the community and to the region that Middletown is working hard and coming back in a very positive way.
Like everyone during the recession, City hall had to cut back significantly on staffing levels over the past few years. In 2015, we have just over half the number of employees that we had just 15 years ago, while still attempting to provide the same level of services for our citizens and businesses.
As I took over as City Manager, I wanted City staff to understand what it means to be a city employee and to make my expectations clear on how we will conduct our business on a daily basis. The result was the creation of The Middletown Way. It is a philosophy and way of doing business for your City government. I’ve copied that philosophy below for everyone to see.
Unfortunately, we do not yet meet this standard. I still get complaints on how we treat residents trying to complete their business with the City. I talk about my expectations at every employee meeting, however, and I promise that I will continue to push and teach this philosophy until all of our employees embrace it as a daily objective and the public can see our commitment to their well being and improvement in the City.
If you experience good or bad customer service when dealing with the City, do not hesitate to pass along the compliment or the complaint to let us know how we are doing. Your opinion matters. You can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great week!
The Middletown Way means that as employees we UNDERSTAND:
- That we create the environment in which the citizens of Middletown live
- That we are responsible for delivering the public services that our residents seek and City Council deems appropriate
- That we implement policy as developed by City Council, and guide the quality of the community
- That we are essential in creating a livable and vibrant urban environment that makes Middletown an attractive place to live, work and play
- That the image of Middletown as a community is dramatically impacted by our work product and our attitude about the City
- That positive energy is contagious
- That we are only as strong as our weakest link
- That we must all work together as a team to accomplish our goals
The Middletown Way means that as employees we ARE COMMITTED:
- To providing quality public services in a positive and efficient manner
- To treating the public and our co-workers in the manner in which we would like to be treated
- To making Middletown a great place to live, an exciting place to do business and a pleasant, friendly place to visit
- To representing Middletown in a positive way and projecting the community in a good light
- To serving the public with dedication, integrity and responsibility in undertaking our roles as the caretakers of all things public in Middletown
The Middletown Way means that as employees we PROMISE:
- Our best effort every day to deliver quality public service to the citizens of Middletown
- Our belief in and commitment to the values of the City
- Our dedication to making Middletown a special place to live, work and play
- Our resolve to present Middletown as a community with a “bright past” and a “brighter future”
- Our unending realization that the work we do is very important and that our commitment is one of dedication and honor
- Our determination that our work experience is not “just a job”, but “The Journey of a Lifetime”